Only judging from the title, “Jane the Virgin” sounds like a biblical tale much like “Joan of Arcadia” or maybe even a paranormal event like “Angel” — but the new series coming Fall 2014 isn’t that far off from reality.
We’ve seen the trailer and a “revelation” clip (see above), and in total that’s roughly two minutes of footage to sway my perceptions from “what is this?” to “oh, man, this could be good.”READ MORE: Dragon Con 2021 Draws Thousands Of Fans To Atlanta
And I’ll tell you why.
1. Jane has an awesome mother. At first glance, I thought the woman in the sparkly silver top (to Jane’s understated floral dress) was her boisterous, outgoing sister. I was wrong, which means that we have a daughter and a mother close in age, a la “Gilmore Girls.” Nothing can touch the magic and kooky quality of Stars Hollow, but having a fun-loving mom with a good heart is a perfect start to something genuine.
2. Jane is very close to her family. Who went to the doctor with Jane? Her mom. She could have easily flaked and let her go alone. Also her family seems young at heart and slightly crazy to Jane’s level-head. Does that sound like Rory Gilmore to anyone? It’s a combination that can make for some humorous times.READ MORE: Meet The 11-Year-Old President Of The Pinellas Non-Profit, Trash Turles
3. Jane must feel a lot of pressure from her family to swipe that V-card, and yet, she’s kept her virginity intact. From this footage, she seems independent and very brazen. A perfect female lead. Where did I spot the pressure to give it up? When the doctor announces that Jane’s pregnant, one of the first things Jane’s mom does is whisper with a smile, “Did you and Michael…?” She was happy that her daughter may have lost her virginity, even if it resulted in pregnancy. Craziness!
4. Who is this boyfriend? We heard one mention, saw one brief glance in the thirty-second trailer, and we know that they’ve been dating for two years without doing the deed. Could he be as chivalrous as Dean (“Gilmore Girls”)? The romance seems to take second to the family love, which still reminds me of that Stars Hollow classic.
5. “Gilmore Girls” fans may swoon. Refer to points one through 4.
Starting Fall 2014, “Jane the Virgin” will air on Mondays at 9 p.m., right after a dose of some French Quarter vampires with “The Originals” at 8.MORE NEWS: CW69 Sports Interview: Shawn Elliott (Cont'd)
— Becca Ritchie